1. While you might assume that the largest restaurant in the world is in the United States or perhaps in China, it is actually in Syria. Bawabet Dimashq Restaurant located in the capital Damascus can seat over 6000 people!
2. While this might not come as a huge surprise, the word restaurant comes from the French language. France is also the home of the fine-dining restaurant and played a pivotal role in the development of eating out.
3. Though it is believed that early restaurants came to light in Italy and Greece, the oldest restaurant in the world today is in Madrid, Spain. The Guinness Book of Records puts the Sobrino de Botín Restaurant at the number one spot of the oldest restaurants in the world. First opening in 1725, Botin Restaurant holds the official title, but others are fighting for the crown.
4. The most expensive burger sold in the world is thought to be served at Fleur de Lys at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas and will set you back an eye-watering 5000 dollars. There are many other pricey burgers to enjoy, such as those at the 666 Food Truck in New York, which serves burgers for 666 dollars, but none can stop the supreme price tag of the Fleur de Lys at Mandalay Bay.
5. You might associate McDonald’s with a delicious grilled beef burger and some salty fries, but their food choices were not always so conventional. Back in the 1960s, Mc Donalds served up a pineapple burger, while experimenting with their menu. The pineapple was topped with a slice of melted cheese, but even that couldn’t sell it, with the pineapple burger being dropped after a short period of time.
6. The average American citizen spends a little over 2000 dollars each year on dining out. This figure includes lunch, coffees and take-out.